Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I swear they're delicious



When I was a kid my mother and sister would make a big fuss once or twice a year about making up a gallon batch of pickled eggs. No way was I going to eat any of those things floating in that purple liquid full of beets and what looked like kelp. But Mom and Sis would eat them right up. I don't think I ever even tried them. A couple of years ago I found myself regretting not having at least tried them, but still, beets? Then hubby brought home a jar of pickled quail eggs from when he drove through Louisiana to help a friend move. I've watched enough Andrew Zimmern now to be a little more brave about what I'll try .... I ate half the jar before I sent them to work with him so I wouldn't eat them all. They were pickled in tobasco and the tobasco had worked its way through each egg. Delicious! I don't have quail eggs, and the tobasco doesn't work its way far into regular chicken eggs, but they're still delicious. I made these using our homemade beer vinegar and store bought tobasco. It will be four weeks before I can enjoy them, sadly, they're busy picklating at the mo'.

I made up several batches of these at Christmas one year. The fam was dubious but most of them came around. Although my brother cringed every time I opened the jar. They may taste delicious, but they smell like something you pay someone else to remove from your drain.

4 comments:

Chaim said...

I consider myself to be a pretty adventurous eater. In spite of the bad smell, those sound delicious, and I would certainly eat them.

I can't say I have ever had pickled eggs, and I have only had a quail egg once in my live. But this post had piqued my interest. I am certain that I should be able to find such a thing here in New York...

Genie said...

I'm surprised you've never eaten one, Chaim. In our neck of the woods, there's nary a bar that doesn't have a giant 2 gallon jar full of pickled eggs sitting on the counter, usually priced around a $1 a piece. Guess it's a Texas thing? I imagine you'd find them most readily at any good Asian market. They've got the market cornered on pickling! I'd love to learn how and what they pickle so I can do it!

Jean Levert Hood said...

you amaze me.

Victoria Williams said...

Mmmmmm....sounds delish!